Skip Navigation
Home
 
  • About Kinderhook
  • Residents
  • Businesses
  • Visitor
This table is used for column layout.

Is there a street light out?

If there is a street light out near your home, you can now report it directly to National Grid using the following link:
Street Light Outage Report Form


TOWN HALL HOURS
Mon - Thur 9AM - 3PM
Friday: CLOSED

Kinderhook New York Town Seal
 
POINTS OF INTEREST


Lindenwald – Martin Van Buren National Historic Site - This house was the farm retirement residence of Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the United States.  Open May – October, Route 9H, fee.  
For more information, visit the following website - http://www.nps.gov/mava/index.htm

The Luykas Van Alen House – Erected in 1737 this Dutch farmhouse is a restored house museum representing 18th century rural Dutch farm life.  Open Memorial to Labor Day.  Route 9H, fee.  Call for hours: 518-758-9265.
For more information, visit the following website - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Alen_House

Ichabod Crane Schoolhouse – A 19th century building that served as a school in the 1940s.  It takes its name from Washington Irving’s schoolteacher in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Open Memorial to Labor Day.  Route 9H.  Call for hours: 518-758-9265.

Merwin Lake – This area is memorable as a frequent fishing spot of Washington Irving and Jesse Merwin.  Merwin’s house is not open to the public; therefore we ask that the owner’s request of privacy be upheld.  Take 9H to Fisher Road; follow Merwin Lake Road (left).  Lake on the right.

Martin Van Buren Birth Site – Martin Van Buren was born on this site.  The original home has been replaced.  Hudson Street, Kinderhook Village, Historical Marker.

James Vanderpoel House (The House of History) – Built ca 1819 by James Vanderpoel, purchased by Columbia County Historical Society in 1925.  This Federal period mansion is furnished with early 19th century furniture and decorative art.  Open Memorial to Labor Day.  Route 9, Board Street, Kinderhook Village, fee.  Call for hours: 518-758-9265

General John Burgoyne House – General John Burgoyne as prisoner of war was entertained in this house on the night of October 22, 1777, while being taken from Saratoga to Boston.  Route 9, Broad Street, Kinderhook Village Private Home, Historical Marker.

Slave Cemetery – To the rear of the original “Burgoyne House Estate” is a small cemetery, which was used to bury one resident’s slaves.  This cemetery is located at the present village playground on Rothermel Avenue, Kinderhook Village.

Benedict Arnold House – According to tradition Benedict Arnold was brought here after being wounded at the Battle of Bemis Heights in 1777. Route 9, Board Street, Kinderhook Village Home, Historical Marker.

Columbia County Museum – Changing exhibits interpreting the 300-year history of Columbia County.  Research library on premises.  Open year-round.  5 Albany Avenue, Kinderhook Village.  Call 518-758-9265 for hours.  For more information, visit the following website - http://www.cchsny.org/intro_links_sites.html

Old Columbia (Kinderhook) Academy – Early Dutch school incorporated March 13, 1797.  Became Kinderhook April 3, 1824.  Albany Avenue, Kinderhook Village Private Home, Historical Marker.

Martin Van Buren Grave Site (1782 –1862) – Governor of New York State and 8th President of the United States.  Located on older section of cemetery.  Albany Avenue, Kinderhook Village.

Mile Marker – The 137th mile stone marker of the New York to Albany Post Road.  Albany Avenue, Kinderhook Village.

Valatie Medical Arts Building – Yesterday meets today on this site, where once stood a mill.  This facility houses a variety of healthcare professionals prepared to meet the growing needs of the Town and northern Columbia County.  1301 River Street, Valatie.

3011 Main Street, Valatie – Currently Ryan’s Tavern.  The boyhood home of Martin H. Glynn.  Governor of New York from 1913 – 1914 and former editor, publisher and owner of the Albany Times Union.  He also served as congressman, State Controller, and Lieutenant Governor.

Presbyterian ChurchCa 1878, this building was designed after an old German cathedral and its brick construction is beautifully trimmed with blue limestone.  Church Street, Valatie.

Wild Home – Nathan Wild, a prominent mill owner and Valatie resident, built this home in 1927.  Martin Van Buren was a frequent guest in this home.  Main Street, Valatie.  Private Home.

Ellis HomeCa 1834, Federal styles farmstead.  This home represents one of the very few surviving properties in the Town with house, barns and setting combined.  Though not substantiated, this home is believed to have been one of the local “stations” along the Underground Railroad.  Maple Lane South, off Route 9 near intersection of Fordham and Dahlgren Roads.

Niverville Methodist ChurchCa 1877 religious architecture.  This church was established following the growth of Niverville and the expansion of the railroad.  It is the only historic church in the Town (other are located in the villages), Church Street, Niverville.


 
footer

TOWN HALL: 3211 Church Street, Valatie, NY 12184
Phone: (518) 784-2233 | Fax: (518) 784-2203
Website Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Virtual Towns & Schools Website